If you are like me, allergic to soy and gluten intolerant, then as a vegan person probably your greatest challenge is how to put tasty meals on your plate. You are probably also concerned to add sufficient protein content to your meals focusing especially on the essential amino acids. And last but not least you don’t want to eat beans, peas and rice all the time. I have some good news for you!
Sustainable solution from Madeira
If you live in Madeira and you are worried about the local economy, the growing number of unemployment on the island, share the view that our economy should not only depend on tourism and would like to see more sustainable solutions on the island, then again keep on reading for this “zero waste” story I’m going to tell you!
The banana heart, the new superfood is right here to save you from all these worries and headaches. Not only can it be a whole food ingredient to fried fish, a meat/fish replacement to stir fries, an ingredient for vegan meatballs, a tasty appetizer as banana blossom pickles, but also its nutrition values will convince you to eat more and more.
Banana blossom, the perfect meat or fish replacement
It is rich in essential amino acids, super rich in fibres which will help you to eat less and have a healthier gut functioning, and has a lot of potassium, copper, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and iron. On top of everything, this superfood comes directly from Madeira’s banana plantations. It is a local, sustainable food crop that was thrown to waste until now. We saved these banana hearts from being discarded and with the smart use of regional resources, our products are ready to give you superpower!
I did a lot of research and found an amazing number of medicinal properties and health benefits. I selected a couple of them for you, the ones that I think are the most interesting. In case you want to read more, at the end of the post you will find many articles, where significantly more benefits are listed.
- High fiber helps to reduce weight: food with high fiber content fills you up faster so you don’t have to eat so much, you can stop eating sooner. As a result it is easier to control your weight or lose weight. It also provides a healthier gut microbiota that is the center of a healthier body. But the benefits do not end here, you can lower the risk of diabetes and certain heart diseases with a high fiber diet.
- Increasing energy levels: the high fibres, iron content and potassium works hand in hand to feel less fatigue, feel more energised, have a better blood circulation.
- Remedies digestive issues: banana blossom is an alkaline food that helps reducing inflammation. Also the dietary fibers play an important role here as they are helping the good gut microbiota to develop better and thus work more efficiently.
- Stimulates kidney function: high value of potassium is very useful for the healthy operation of the kidneys, it also balances the water and acidity of the body and eliminates toxins.
- Eliminates free radicals: as the banana blossom contains tannins, flavonoids and antioxidants as well, which contribute to counteract free radicals. The presence of free radicals are associated with heart disease and cancer as well.
The banana flower with a well-proportionate amino acid profile shows a high ratio of essential to nonessential amino acids, higher than those of WHO requirements.
If you choose to add the banana blossom to your diet, you are not only helping your body to stay or get healthy with this superfood, but also contribute to create a more sustainable community in Madeira.
- Assessment of Nutritional Quality and Global Antioxidant Response of Banana (Musa sp. CV. Nanjangud Rasa Bale) Pseudostem and Flower
- Amino acid profile of banana pseudostem and banana flower
- Health Benefits of Banana Flower
- Banana Flower: The Superfood You Haven’t Heard Of
- Banana Flower, Blossoms of Optimal Health: 10 Health Benefits